My Blog List

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Permaculture Design Course

Last weekend I attended the first of six workshops towards obtaining a Permaculture Design Certificate. This is something I have been wanting to do for years. Until now, I have merely dabbled in permaculture. I attended some courses in Phoenix, joined their local guild and have read most of the most current books on permaculture, but this is my first formal training.

I am pretty excited about this!!! This is the beginning of a new era in my life.

The first step on an exciting new journey.

A journey back to my true self.

I have always been a plant person. Many of my best childhood memories involve my interaction with and love of plants and gardens. I'll speak to that in another post, as I don't want to be long winded or get off track.

My first goal with attending this course is practical. I'm planning and building my garden and food forest and want to do things correctly the first time. I've been working this garden for two years now, and I've made some mistakes and have had some setbacks. Fortunately, that is something I expect when dealing with nature, and the general momentum and progress with this garden has been really positive.
One step back, two steps forward. " )

I think the reason for most of my mistakes or my biggest hindrance has been the fact that over the last 10 years, we kept moving. I met Bryan while living in North Florida, then we moved to the pacific northwest, then the desert, and now finally back in south florida. Each climate has its own issues, and its own plant families, so I' ve been starting from scratch with each garden, and what I knew or thought I knew is getting jumbled.

I'm back home. South Florida is where I was born and raised, but I will still have challenges that will be new to me here. I' m about 100 miles north of where I grew up and closer to the frost line. not to mention that I am now on the Gulf side rather than the Atlantic. Still, much here is familiar and it feels as if I am surrounded by old friends when I' m in my garden.





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment